Friday, January 29, 2016

OnFire #340 Antiques and Angle Grinders


OnFire Encouragement Letter
OnFire  #340 Antiques and Angle Grinders

Some years ago, I came to own an antique Guardian soda fire extinguisher that had been in my grandparents’ attic for many years. Standing about two and a half feet tall, it is copper with a brass label, and was manufactured in Brockville ON by the National Mfg Co. Ltd.

When I got it, I was a volunteer firefighter, so it made a neat addition to my collection of interesting conversation starters. This vintage piece of equipment was a part of firefighting history and I was proud to have it.

It was badly tarnished – dull and green - and despite the fact that it was interesting, it was  still unsightly. It occupied a place in our living room for only a short time, then Jan asked me to do something with it, and I took it to my church office. When we moved to Manitoba, it remained with our personal effects in the basement.

Last year I resolved to clean it up. It is going to take a while, but so far the results are promising with a combination of techniques including Brasso, a rotary tool, and a polishing wheel.  To see a pic, check out my Facebook page or the blog site at www.onfireletter.blogspot.com


As I stood there polishing the copper and brass, it reminded me of an important piece of scripture. “If anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!” (2 Corinthians 5:17*)

When we commit ourselves to follow Jesus Christ, we begin a process of spiritual renewal where He removes the tarnish and stain of sin. Jesus takes the old, and makes it new. We become transformed. That sounds like polishing to me.

It is going to take a while to finish cleaning up the extinguisher because some stains and marks are deeper than others. So also in our lives.  It is a process. This is important personally, and as we regard others. We must be patient as some issues, problems, concerns, and even sins, sometimes take time to overcome. A few of these might not be complete until we meet Jesus, but yet we continue to have faith that “he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 1:6)

And as we regard others, it is important to remember that they, too, are works in progress. It is all too easy to be judgmental when someone struggles in an area I have overcome.  Patience and grace are important as we consider others.

Jesus is in the process of taking our tarnish and transforming it into something shiny and bright.

I hope this helps.  Be on fire.

Troy

OnFire is a letter on faith and character written by Troy Dennis.  Married  to Jan, Troy is a chaplain in the Canadian Armed Forces, and has more than 20 years of pastoral experience. This letter published Jan 30, 2016. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or reply, email onfireletter@gmail.com. Blog located at www.onfireletter.blogspot.com




No comments:

Post a Comment